You know when you crave something SO MUCH. and you can’t find that thing.
Then you go home and make it. And it’s not quite the same. Then you make it again, and something is missing.
So you make it again. And again.
Then, you nail it.
I miss summer BBQs. Ok, we do sometimes have them here. But there’s something about the way my dad grills that makes everything taste better, ya know?
On top of missing BBQ’s it’s also the sauce I miss.
BBQ sauce. And hot sauce. But that’s for another day.
This BBQ sauce is smokey from roasting the tomatoes. Sweet from the brown sugar. Perfect burnt brown from the Worcestershire sauce. And has just a bit of kick from garlic, chili and cumin. I hated the idea of adding ketchup – something I only reserved for frites. This recipe swaps ketchup for real tomatoes.
I’m so excited to share this with you guys.
Is there anything you make from scratch that you either can’t find or prefer homemade?
Audio Pairing: Memory by Peter & The Magician
Homemade BBQ Sauce
By August 19, 2014Published:
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce
You know when you crave something SO MUCH. and you can't find that thing. Then you go home and make it. And it's not quite the …
- 3 medium tomatoes halved
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Heat your oven to 400F/220C. Place your onions, tomatoes and garlic on a baking tray. Place in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Pop your Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili and cumin, brown sugar and honey in a food processor. Slowly add your warm onions, tomatoes and garlic.
- Once everything is incorporated, send it through a mesh sieve. You should have about 1 1/2 cup water mixture.
- Place your mixture into a sauce pan, on medium heat. Dump in your cornstarch and stir until fully incorporated. The sauce will thicken immediately.
- Jar or use immediately. Keeps for about 2 weeks in the fridge.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress