One week of sunshine.
One week of polpo, great-aunts, limoncello.
And now, a lifetime of this cake. Which I have made nearly every week we’ve been back from our Italian adventure.
The citrus in Sicily is really something to talk about. Everyone has lemon, orange and olive trees growing on their property like weeds. Everything grows under the hot sun to giant, nay, epic size. And bigger here, is definitely better. There’s something about the sweetness of their giant produce that is really remarkable and unparalleled.
But let’s switch to cake…
I had so many oranges laying around this weekend. What to do with all them oranges?
Make cake, naturalmente.
This recipe uses almond flour. I never realized how MUCH Sicilians use almonds until my mom told me about this pesto rosso.
It’s not too sweet. Thats where the powdered sugar comes it. It adds that little extra something that makes this perfect for hot afternoons with your evening coffee. Or for breakfast 3 days in a row. I loved it; hope you will too.
Audio Pairing: Love Hangover by Diana Ross
Italian Orange + Almond Cake
By August 7, 2014Published:
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 1 1/2 hoursa60-90 min
- Ready In: 21 mins
One week of sunshine. One week of polpo, great-aunts, limoncello. And now, a lifetime of this cake. Which I have made nearly …
- 100 grams brown sugar about 1/2 cup
- 400 grams white sugar about 2 cups
- 6 medium eggs
- 250 grams almond flour about 1 1/4 cups
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 zest and juice of a orange
- powdered sugar for garnish
- Place 2 whole oranges in a large pan with plenty of water. Gently boil for about an hour. Remove and allow to cool.
- Whirl around brown and white sugar in a food processor. Crack in your eggs and mix until fluffy.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/360f. Cut your cooled oranges into chunks, remove any seeds, and throw them into your food processor. Add your almond flour and baking powder. Add the orange juice.
- Line a cake tin with parchment paper. Pour in your cake batter and bake for 60-90 minutes, or until a skew comes clean.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, dust with powdered sugar + zest.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress